Once settled by a large Metis community, the western shore of Lake Winnipeg and Grand Beach became a magnificent retreat when the Canadian Northern Railway built its line and set up the resort along the “Grand” beach in 1917.
In the early days, the grandest of all buildings was the Dance Pavilion, reported then to be the largest dance hall in the Commonwealth, unfortunately, destroyed by fire in 1950. Grand Beach features 3 km of fine, white sand with dunes that rise up to 12 meters above the beach, now ranking as number three among North American beaches.
The boardwalk that extends along the beach was originally built in the early 1930s – great for an afternoon stroll along the beach. Check out the signs depicting the past glory of one of Manitoba’s oldest resorts.
Location/Directions: North on Hwy 59