Interpretive sign reads: “Aboriginal people camped near the rapids above this site for at least 30 centuries before European settlers arrived”. Following the 1821 amalgamation of the two fur trading company’s former employees gained strips of land along the Red River in the form of river lots (188-330 ft. wide) by 2 miles long providing forest, hay & river access for all. By 1835 about 70 families lived in this area. The Gunn family established a grist mill here in 1854 – one of nine water powered & 18 wind – driven mills built in the area.
Location/Directions: Just north of 6860 Henderson Hwy
GPS Coordinates: GPS-N50 7.173 W96 52.901