Historic Hecla Island Village
First settled in 1876 by Icelandic immigrants & was part of “New Iceland” – which also included Gimli, Lundi (modern-day Riverton) & Arborg.
Today, Hecla Historic Village includes the Community Hall, a log house, old Hecla Schoolhouse, Tomosson’s Boarding House, Hecla Church, dock, ice house, fishing boats, tool shed, with Hecla General Store & Solmundson Gesta Hus (Guest house).
Take a self-guided walking tour or tour with a guide from Hecla/Grindstone Provincial Park.
Services every Sunday in summer at 11:00 in Hecla Church.
Camp at Hecla Provincial Park or stay at one of the local Resort/ Hotels.
Manitoba Conservation and Climate Parks & Protected Spaces Branch 204-378-2261