RM of Gimli
Visiting Iceland in the RM of Gimli
- “ISLENDINGADAGURINN” [Icelandic Festival] Celebrating 129 years in 2018 – it is the 2nd longest-running cultural festival in North America celebrating culture & heritage of the Icelandic settlers. Parade, arts, music, poetry, crafts, midway, sandcastle contest, fireworks and an authentic Viking Village experience. Try your hand at making Chainmail!
- The Sea Wall Murals- a gift from the Gimli Art Club, has over 60 murals forming the outdoor gallery depicting events, culture, heritage, beauty and landscapes of the Interlake.
- The annual Gimli Film Festival in July is one of Canada’s premiere film festivals.Various locations.Unique nightly viewings of films on the beach as the screen rises out of the waves of Lake Winnipeg.
- Three special Saturdays this summer feature a Beach Bash evening so bring your lawn chair, relax and enjoy the evening at the beach
- Cultural flavour, small town hospitality in a unique Waterfront business district, year round. Fabulous restaurants, intriguing shops & sites, museums, galleries with the lake as a backdrop.
- Home to newest museum in Manitoba – Gimli Glider Exhibit Inc., Celebrates the 35th year since this international Aviation story took place
- Home of the Namao – research vessel berthed in the Gimli Marina, built at Riverton Boat Works to do research on Lake Winnipeg.